Weekend rugby round-up

19 December 2011

Taibach 18, Pencoed 15 

WITH only one fixture played in Division Three South West, Taibach secured another victory on Saturday (December 17), winning 18-15 at The Plough in a double over visiting Pencoed, taking them back to second place in the league.

The win would have been more emphatic, but Pencoed clawed back in the second half when the Tigers were reduced to 13, with two players sent to the sin bin.

Aaron Jones scores for Taibach. Picture: David Jones

Pencoed took the lead with a Marc Davies penalty, but halfway through the first half Taibach skipper Rob Morgans stole the ball on halfway and, after gaining ground, Mike McSweeney continued the move and passed to Mike Kelly, who fed wing Richard Hopkins and he sprinted away to cross for a try.

Morgans and Kelly were involved in Taibach’s second try when number eight Matthew Saker broke in his half with his fellow back row colleagues Morgans and Kelly in tandem, continuing the run, before centre Aaron Jones took the ball and brushed off and swerved passed defenders to score the try.

He then converted his try, and then kicked a penalty for a comfortable 15-3 lead at half time.

Ten minutes into the second half came the two Taibach sin bins, and, after several Pencoed forward drives, number eight Aaron Halse scored a try, converted by Marc Davies.

Taibach responded from the kick-off, taking play into the visitors’ twenty two, and outside half Mike McSweeney dropped a goal, for a score of 18-10 to Taibach.

Late in the half, Pencoed set up a scrum in the home side’s twenty two, and, with the backs set in motion, wing Richard Samuels scored in the corner – but Taibach won the spoils by 18-15.

David Jones

Skewen 13, Aberavon Quins 9

SKEWEN ran out winners against the Quins at Tennant Park for the second week running.

The early conditions favoured the home side, which had the strong wind and driving rain at their backs. But the Quins defended strongly, and it was almost half an hour before full back Weightman eased his side in front with a straight penalty goal.

From the restart the Quins applied some rare pressure, and Marc Sheppard levelled the scores with a penalty.

Towards the end of the half Quins flanker Chris Jones was receiving treatment when Weightman added his second penalty and crossed for a try, which he converted.

Unfortunately for the Quins, the wind dropped in the second half and although Sheppard narrowed the gap with two more penalties, Skewen defended stubbornly.

Following sustained pressure by the pack, Quins forced their way over the line but the ref ruled against Adam Dawes’s claim for a try.

Several penalties close to the line followed in the closing minutes, but surprisingly there was no yellow card shown.

The losing bonus point for the Quins raised them to third place in Division two (West).

Phill Dacey

Article tags

Share this article

Comment on this article

one × one =