Six long weeks of summer lie ahead, and if you have kids it’s always handy to have a couple of ideas up your sleeve for a rainy day, or for something a bit different. The Magnet has done the hard work for you by collecting 16 of the best Port Talbot days out into one easy guide.
- Afan Nedd forest Rekindle your youth by taking the children and building a den, or simply take a stroll and enjoy the vistas. The forest’s visitor centre, open 9am until 5pm, is packed with information and activities for kids. Parking £1 a day; Cynonville, Port Talbot, Neath Port Talbot, SA13 3HG; 01639 850564
- Glyncorrwg Ponds Immerse yourself in the beautiful environment and see if you can find some of the local wildlife. The Ponds also have a visitor centre which is just two miles from Cymmer. Free; Ynyscorrwg Park, Glyncorrwg, Port Talbot, SA13 3EA; 01639 851900
- Volksfest Margam Park is again playing host to the incredibly popular Volksfest. Kids club set-ups, fire poi displays, and live music ensure brilliant entertainment. The festival runs from the 31 July until 2 August. Information and daily pricing can be found here.
- Gnoll Park petting zoo Another way to stave off summer boredom is the petting zoo in the Gnoll Country Park. Set to be held on 4 August, the event will have free admission and children’s rides from just £1 each. Gnoll Estate, Fairyland, Neath SA11 3BS; 07854 460512.
- Margam Park medieval weekend Lions and Lilies will be putting on a show with archery, armour, and sword demonstrations. Free; August 1 and 2; Off Margam Road, Groes, Port Talbot. SA13 2AG; 01639 881635.
- Cwmavon Library If the kids fancy a traditional day in, take the children to a summer board game day at Cwmavon Library. They are held every Wednesday until late August. Starting at 2pm, the sessions run for two hours with games such as monopoly, dominos, and other classic board games. Free; Depot Road, Cwmavon, Port Talbot, SA12 9DF; 01639 896532.
- Afan Argoed Miners Museum Indulge yourselves in the lore and heritage of South Wales with the museum’s indoor and outdoor exhibitions. Open 10am to 4pm daily. Adults £3, children and OAPs £2, free for children under 5; Afan Forest Park, Cynonville, Port Talbot, SA13 3HG; 01639 851833.
- Margam Park canoeing and kayaking The kids can also try their hand at canoeing and kayaking. Starting at 11am on 4 August, the activity caters for those aged 7 and over, and costs just £7. Weather conditions will affect availability so ringing ahead is recommended. Off Margam Road, Groes, Port Talbot, SA13 2AG; 01639 881635.
- Margam Park stand up boarding As if Margam Park hadn’t already put enough events on, they also have a stand up paddle boarding day on 28 July. Similar to the kayaking and canoeing, the activity caters for those aged 7 and over, and costs just £7. Scheduled for a 11am start, the event will run throughout the day. Weather conditions will affect availability so ringing ahead is recommended. Off Margam Road, Groes, Port Talbot, SA13 2AG; 01639 881635.
- Sandfields Library craft session Get those creative juices flowing and make something this summer at Sandfields Library’s very own craft session on the beach. Free; starts 10am on 12 August; 01639 883616
- Cycle Port Talbot Port Talbot also boasts a number of cycle routes that provide fantastic days out. More information about where to get on your bike in the local area can be found here. From Aberavon promenade to Afan Nedd Forest, there’s a variety of places to get you peddling.
- Surf School Wales Calling those who love the sea, Surf School Wales offers surf lessons throughout the summer. There are sessions on Fridays 5.30-6.30pm (age 7-12); 7-8pm (age 12-16)]. From £5; see here for more details. Princess Margaret Way, Port Talbot, SA12 6QW; 07815 450815
- Margam Park animal trail For animal lovers, Margam Park have set up a farm trail tour on 3 August. Free to all, you can discover and learn about rare breeds of cattle. The tour will begin at 2pm at the farm trail gate; Off Margam Road, Groes, Port Talbot, SA13 2AG; 01639 881635.
- Afan Argoed activity day Afan Argoed also have a day full of face painting, craft stalls, inflatables and more on the 15 August. Starting at 10am, the event will run throughout the day with free entry however some stalls may cost. Afan Forest Park, Cynonville, Port Talbot, SA13 3HG; 01639 851833.
- Margam Park pirate day A pirate parade will be invading Margam Park for a day of family fun on 31 August. Entrance fees are £5 for children and OAP’s, and £7.50 for adults. Turn up in your best pirate gear for all the crafts and activities on the day. Off Margam Road, Groes, Port Talbot; SA13 2AG; 01639 881635.
- YMCA rock climbing The more adventurous can try their hands at rock climbing. Meet at YMCA at 9.30 am before travelling to Box Bay Porthcawl to get climbing. £3 per person (age 7 and over); see here for more details; 48-52 Talbot Rd, Port Talbot, SA13 1HU; 01639 887034.
Which is your favourite? Have we missed any? Let us know, or post your photos of your favourite Port Talbot days out on the Port Talbot Magnet News Facebook page.